Friday, September 11, 2009

Wavves - Hula Hoop

I'm a bit on the fence about the lo-fi craze going on. On one hand, most of the bands that are attached to this scene (Blank Dogs, Vivian Girls, Dum Dum Girls, Crocodiles, Christmas Island) are just simple pop music recorded under lo-fi circumstances. Then again, I've never had anything against pop songs. I love a well written pop song. Recently, my favorite drummer of all time, Zach Hill, also of Hella, is drumming for one of these bands that is attached to the lo-fi craze, Wavves. The video does no justice to how amazing this guy is and, at least for myself, how much better he makes Wavves. Some call his drumming excessive. Well, I've seen video of Wavves without Zach Hill and I dug it. I didn't love it but it was entertaining. Yet when I saw Wavves at the Casbah with Zach Hill, let me tell you, I was a little reluctant at first, thinking that his drumming would be toned down. Yet when they exploded into "So Bored" I was blown away. His drumming really fills in the gaps that I was ready to nitpick at. Certainly, this version of Wavves is an argument "for" the lo-fi mania.

Wavves from TERROREYES.TV on Vimeo.



Zach Hill, Carson Mcwhirter, Studio Jams from TERROREYES.TV on Vimeo.



Zach Hill - Dark Art - Music Video from Scott Cramer on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment