Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Review: Ancient Crux - Interracial Coupling




Rapid Youth is Travis, Tyler, and Brent. Ancient Crux is the restructuring of said band. Not a completely new band because it's members are basically the same members of Rapid Youth. They take a musical idea and apply it to the same outfit yet completely changing the outcome of what would normally be a Rapid Youth CD.

The name of this album fits the mood. Complete opposites in structure coming together to create something different. Notice I didn't say "something beautiful". Reason being is that not every mash up of styles works. Take for instance Limp Bizkit or more recently the hardcore/electro/screamo/pop/hip-hop garbage of Brokencyde. If you haven't heard Brokencyde before, consider yourself lucky.

In the case of Ancient Crux though the idea of taking seemingly polar opposites and putting them together works to their advantage. What do I mean, you ask. The first time I heard the CD, the first two words that came to mind were "surf goth". Then I immediately thought that this would be the kind of music that would be on the soundtrack of Twin Peaks if they were to ever remake it. Sunny and dark. An oxymoron in audio form. The music is as if Roy Orbison joined a goth band and told them that they were going to to start making surf tunes.

I usually hate these kinds of reviews, but honestly, I enjoy this CD and wanted to do it justice. Yet I don't listen to much goth nor am I a follower of surf music. Yet I can recognize these elements and I can tell the difference between the two but also can tell when something works. It's pretty obvious that these guys have enough knowledge in both the sunny and darker elements to make a sound as cohesive and enjoyable as Interracial Coupling.

Ancient Crux - Interracial Coupling
Available through Family Time Records

1 comment: