Sunday, March 15, 2009

Flier Tuesday (3/17/09)

Happy St. Patty's day everyone. If you're planning on partying it up tonight be safe out there and have a good time. Save me some corned beef and all the fixings.

Saturday night at the Themselves show, which took place at The Point After, I was approached by an old friend that asked me about a previous blog where I told valley promoters not to book shows at The Point After anymore. He was asking me why I felt that way. I explained to him that the place has a lot going against it.

First off is the positioning of the stage. Unless you are standing in the walkway in front of it, it will be difficult to get a large crowd going. There is just so much space between the performers and the crowd that it feels as if you are miles away from the performers. The railing doesn't help either. Secondly, the walkway in front of the stage can fit only so many people. So if you're not there in the walkway good luck if you really want to get somewhat close to the band. Third, there is no place to dance. I know not all people dance at shows, but when you get acts that have a dance groove to them, they really like it when the crowd can dance in front of them. Limited space in front means no room to dance which also means that its harder for a band to connect with a crowd. Fourth is the fact that it is a sports bar. Regular bars are okay for shows because you may have the occasional knuckle head usual heckling the band. Yet when you add the fact that you've got a group of regulars that are there not for the show but to watch the game/UFC fight/boxing match, it just adds to the frustration. I've also heard rumors of bands not getting paid due to issues with the venue itself or the promoters and I've also heard about bands saying that they'd never play there again due to poor treatment. I can't really verify that so I have to throw that out in my reasoning.

Regardless, just because a venue is not good for a show doesn't mean it is not a good place for a party. Case in point; the Themselves show. With the large speaker system that was rented for the night, the way the performers were set up pushed way up close to the railing, the "skybox" room upstairs set up for people to dance and have a good time, the lighting, the TV monitors above set to a mood inducing light show, the whole place was conducive to a party atmosphere. And it worked. All the other shows I've been to or heard about kind of fell flat. The guys at Kil Atwil and Aesthetic Arrest really know what they're doing when it comes to throwing a party. If The Point After ever decided to become a nightclub then I think it would have the potential to be a prime party spot. My viewpoint may be altered but I still don't apologize for what I said previously. To quote S. Pineda from his myspace page "All I have now is honesty".

Saturday was the day I realized how far reaching this all can be and how much further it can go in time. I know some of you will disagree with my point of view. That's fine. You're allowed to. That just means that we have to agree to disagree. Don't take it personal. I'm not attacking anyone. In fact if you disagree with me let me know. I am more than willing to hear your side of a story. Maybe you can convince me to change my mind. But I will never apologize about my honesty.

On that note, let's get to this weeks fliers shall we.

Some shows I'd like to make note on; at the Echo Curio, there is a show every night from now until the 28th of March. I don't have fliers for every single show but go check out their myspace page. Another reminder about the Dusty Rhodes and the River Band show on March 20th. Come to this show early and meet up with us for the Zombie walk. More details on the flier. We'll try to provide some fake blood for this show but it would really help out if you did your makeup. On April 3rd Fatso Jetson returns to the desert to play a show with some friends of theirs, Brant Bjork. That should be a good show. And on April 6th, one of my favorite groups, Dalmacio von Diamond and The Enochian Keys are playing at Pherespace.

That's all for now. As always check with the venue for any schedule changes or cancellations.

No comments:

Post a Comment