Friday, July 16, 2010

Power Axe - The Volcano's Peak

Hardly anybody makes angry music anymore. It's funny, when I was younger, I didn't listen to very much angry music. The stuff I listened, I thought was angry and aggressive, but in all honesty it was never consistently loud and angry. Now that I'm older, for some strange reason I'm playing catch up and really wanting to hear music that makes you feel like destroying everything in your path. I like bands that play really good melodies and harmonies just as much the next hipster, listening to Fleet Foxes, Beach House, or Grizzly Bear, riding his fixie, cloth bag in tow, while headed to Trader Joe's to pick up some hemp protein powder because they're vegan now but if absolutely necessary they'll eat chicken, just like last week when they were at their favorite dive bar and had one to many PBRs and needed something to soak up all that alcohol, so in an emergency they stopped off at the nearest taco truck and had a pollo asada burrito with everything including beans which were probably made with lard but it was soooooooo worth it!... But I digress. Power Axe. The band's name alone says "I will kick you in the fucking teeth!" This is the kind of loud angry music I want to hear. They've described their music as sounding like the fog rolling over the volcano's peak. YES, that's exactly what it sounds like, ominous, conjuring up images of orcs and demons and devil dogs gathering to do battle against all mankind. It's the kind of stuff that most of the hipster set are afraid to partake in because it's to aggressive and would ruin the clothes that they so carefully made look like they just woke up from an all night bender with the guys in Vampire Weekend... oh wait those guys are so two years ago right? Anyway, go check out Power Axe and get ready to break something.
Power Axe on Facebook
Power Axe on Myspace

1 comment: